A brain tumor is a complex surgery that requires lots of precision, technology, and highly experienced doctors. Recently, India has become one of the most popular destinations for medical tourism with its high-quality healthcare services.
There has also been a lot of advancement in the field of brain tumor surgery, such as MRI, CT, and PET scans, which have made it easier for surgeons to locate the tumor, check its shape and size, and then plan the entire process accordingly.
Moreover, with the invention of minimally invasive techniques like keyhole and endoscopic surgery, the recovery time has also been reduced as compared to open surgeries. Patients traveling to India for brain tumor surgery can expect to save a significant amount of money without compromising on quality.
Brain tumor surgery costs in India have become very low compared to Western countries because of the low cost of living, favorable currency exchange rate, and good medical tourism. Brain tumor surgery cost in India is between Rs.177600 and Rs. 236800. The cost for International patients is between USD 3600 to USD 4400.
How is Brain Tumor Surgery done?
Surgery is the most common and primary treatment for most people with brain tumors. Surgical excision and continuous monitoring may be the sole treatment for some malignancies.
Tumors near sensitive brain areas are removed in part to alleviate symptoms and permit or increase the efficacy of other therapies. Decreased pressure within the skull can lead to fewer symptoms and an improved ability to perform (for example, to think, speak, or see better).
Types of Brain Tumor Surgery
- Craniotomy- It is the most frequent type of surgery performed to remove a brain tumor. The neurosurgeon creates an incision in the scalp and removes a portion of bone from the skull to enable access to the tumor. Well-planned surgical therapies can help neurosurgeons manage severe skull base tumors.
- Laser Ablation Using MRI Guidance: MRI-guided laser ablation is a minimally invasive neurosurgical technique that is used to treat a range of illnesses, including brain tumors. Lasers are employed in treatment to target and destroy tumors. The procedure can help surgeons treat the most lethal brain tumors, such as glioblastoma multiforme, and brain tumors close to sensitive brain areas, making traditional open surgery problematic. MRI-guided laser ablation has the potential to be beneficial.
- Neuroendoscopy: Neuroendoscopy is a minimally invasive surgical treatment in which a neurosurgeon removes the tumor through small holes in the skull or through the mouth or nose (about the size of a dime). Endonasal endoscopic surgery is conducted through the nose. This technique enables the surgeon to access areas of the brain that conventional surgery cannot and remove the tumor without harming other parts of the skull. The following forms of brain tumors are treated by neuro endoscopy:
- Cancers of the pineal gland
- Pituitary tumors are malignant tumors of the pituitary gland.
- Rathke’s cleft cysts
- Tumors at the base of the skull
- Cancer of the vena cava
Tubular Retractor System for Neurosurgery
This is a cutting-edge, minimally invasive technique that can help your neurosurgeon treat a wide range of urgent conditions, including brain tumors.
A retractor is any piece of equipment that moves or holds a tissue to provide a surgeon access to a specific area. The tubular retractor is useful because it displaces the tissue rather than cutting through it, allowing it to move the folds and fragile tissues of the brain with less danger of harm than other surgical procedures. The tubular retractor device is very effective when a tumor is found deep within the brain. It is also a less intrusive alternative to standard open surgery.
Elements Affecting Brain Tumor Surgery Cost in India
- Choice of a hospital: A well-established and renowned hospital will cost more because of the advanced technology, experience, and highly qualified doctors.
- Type of tumor: The tumor’s location, type, and size will affect the surgery’s complexity. Some complex procedures involving delicate areas of the brain will need more surgical time and advanced equipment, which can increase the surgical cost.
- Preoperative test: Various diagnostic tests such as MRI, CT scan, and angiograms are done to check for the location and extent of the tumor.
- Cost of anesthesia: time taken for surgery, type of anesthesia, and duration of hospital stay impact the cost. If the hospital stay is extended, then the cost will be higher.
- Geographic location: The cost of healthcare services may differ based on your location. The cost of brain tumor surgery may vary since different countries or places may have different healthcare systems, pricing structures, and reimbursement rates.
The Top Hospitals in India for Brain Tumor Surgery are:
Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon: Fortis Memorial Research Institute (FMRI) is a multidisciplinary hospital specializing in advanced neurosurgery. The hospital has a neurosciences section staffed by highly qualified neurosurgeons who perform challenging brain tumor surgery using cutting-edge equipment and procedures.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai: The Department of Neurosurgery at Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital is well-known, having skilled neurosurgeons specializing in brain tumor procedures. The hospital is outfitted with the latest imaging technology and cutting-edge surgical facilities to guarantee precise diagnosis and the best treatment outcomes.
Manipal Hospital, Bangalore: Manipal Hospital is a well-known private hospital with an excellent neurosurgery department. Its neurosurgeons are trained in a variety of brain tumor operations, such as awake craniotomies, endoscopic treatments, and stereotactic methods. In addition, the hospital provides extensive preoperative and postoperative treatment.
Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai: Tata Memorial Hospital is India’s leading cancer treatment and research facility. It features a dedicated Neuro-Oncology section specializing in diagnosing and treating brain tumors. Advanced surgical methods, such as minimally invasive treatments and precision-guided operations, are available at the facility.
Apollo Hospitals, Chennai: Apollo Hospitals is a well-established healthcare provider in India with a nationwide network of facilities. The Chennai branch is well-known for its neurosurgical skills and contains a specialist Brain and Spine Institute. They have an experienced crew.
Brain tumor surgery cost in India depends on the type of tumor, the clinic’s facilities, the surgeon’s experience, and other medical services. Brain tumor surgery in India is often less costly than in many other countries. Nevertheless, specific costs may vary widely, so it is best to consult with hospitals and healthcare specialists to get precise and up-to-date information.